Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 2, 2011

25 paisa will no longer be accepted


starting July, the humble 25 paisa will no longer be accepted as a legal tender anywhere.
"We used to get many things with 25 paise," 
"Used to eat 2 idlies at Triplicane Ratna cafe or masala dosa at Ambal bhavan...It had value at that time,"
But for today's generation, 25 paise can hardly buy them any thing. Even the cheapest mint cost a rupee.
 For those born in 1940s and 50s, it had served for long. My parents used to tell stories of "1 naya paisa" and what all they could get with that in their time

 In my school times i used to buy “then muttai” for 10 paise and “chakkara muttai” for 15 paise, . I couldn’t find a similar taste anywhere till date. 

I roughly remember in mid seventys, I lost a 25 paise coin while returning home during the night in an unlit street. Next day I got up early in the morning and went to the street to fetch the coin. I was on cloud nine when I was able to find it

Those periods were really unforgettable,”

What other things I have done with this 25 paise?

I used to  hire a cycle for five hours and ride around . ( 5 paise per hour is the rental rate for old bicycle),     sumptuous breakfast of idlis and vadas.at any  udipi cafes,
Also remember buying postal envelopes with 25 paise stamps — as opposed to inland letters — “to send letters to special friends”.
This is the last day, that u can use all those tiny shiny 25 paise coins for transactions.  This is gonna end today..  25paise will also go through the same way as 10paise went an year ago.

The discontinuation of 25 paise can have impact on a little rural area economies where they use every paise effectively, they earn. The price of little things may go up..  and can erase the schooltime smiles of little children in such areas.
Anyway, i can wish only good bye to this denomination.
Bye bye little coins, though no longer in market, you all will always remain in my collection.

Anumon lakshmi
3,srininvasmurti avenue adyar 

No comments:

Post a Comment