Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 17, 2011

‘First impressions count.’


That’s what you usually hear when going for an interview, or for that matter, any type of formal meeting. However, first impressions can, and usually are, (for me at least) very mistaken. Before we get too ahead of ourselves, here’s a question for you to ponder upon- What forms a first impression?
 what forms a first impression. For me, however shallow it is to say this, one of the features that forms a first impression are a person’s looks. Rather, not by a person’s looks, but by the expression on someone’s face. If I’m walking on the road and a man with a wide, scary grin and glinting eyes that are fixed upon me is walking next to me, then I’m going to start walking faster.
Another feature that contributes to my first impression of a person is how they are dressed. Taking an example of a young 8 year old girl (this has happened before) dressed up in a fancy dress; a fancy pink dress, complete with lacy bows and a shimmering clip, I’m going to assume that she is either spoilt, or a brat, or both. There is no real explanation for my conclusion, just that it annoys me when I see little girls, specifically, overdressed.
Third factor: the tone of their voice/the way they talk. Say I’m somewhere; a party, and I start a conversation with someone who I have not met before. If they (I’m assuming it’s a she) have a whiny, overly-sarcastic (I can handle just sarcastic), or a just plain annoying voice, I’m not going to want to talk to them any longer. I don’t think I am required to give an explanation as to why I would not like to talk to someone with a whiny or annoying voice. For overly-sarcastic though, the reason is that when someone always has an overly-sarcastic tone, it is most likely they are going to be rude. Judgmental, yes, I know, but that’s usually what happens. Then, obviously, the way they talk. If they are snobbish, put on a fake accent, or talk in a way that makes me (or you) feel like they’re better or smarter or more whatever than you (or me), it’s going to form an impression, and not a very good one at that.
I’m sure there are many more factors that contribute to the forming of a first impression (rumors; a bad reputation), but I think I’m writing a bit too much than is required (sorry, editors). So, leaving how a first impression is formed, let us move on to whether first impressions are usually proved right or wrong.
I can honestly say for myself that my first impressions are, nine out of ten times, wrong. Taking a real example of how my first impression on a group of guys (no names being mentioned) turned out to be completely wrong (well, for most of them). Earlier, whenever their names were mentioned or they were talked about, it was always with a bit of hostility. But once I actually got to know them, my bad impression of them turned out to be totally untrue, and I realized that I had been basing it upon a couple of rumors and what other people had said about them. Now, some of the people in that ‘group’, so to say, are best friends with me.
I don’t know if this applies just to me or to other people as well, but here’s a bit of advice for all of you- Never base your relationship with a person on your first impression of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment